Sunday 31 July 2011

Writing with my ears

If you asked me which part of my anatomy I rely on most when I am generating copy – you may not expect me to nominate my ears as my most valuable asset (well, after a superbly creative brain of course). Before you begin to think that I may have missed out on a far more lucrative career in the circus, let me clarify right away that I don’t literally write with them. To be honest, while I find they function perfectly well as auditory receptors, they are poorly designed for gripping a pencil or tapping away at a keyboard.

What use are they to me when it comes to writing then? Well, being partially-sighted means that I use text-to-speech software when I work - every keystroke that I input into my PC is converted into an electronic, synthesised voice – so, proof-reading takes place using my ears rather than my eyes. Interestingly, I find that having my copy read back to me this way actually has a number of advantages; not needing to follow the words with my eyes makes maintaining focus a lot easier and while listening to my unpaid assistant - who sounds like a close relative of Professor Stephen Hawking - can occasionally get a little monotonous, it is easy to spot a badly constructed paragraph, or a sentence that doesn’t scan properly.

While spell-checkers are great for highlighting spelling and grammar issues, there is no substitute for having someone else read your copy aloud – as many people as possible in fact. But if you run out of human-beings in the form of colleagues or friends willing to give you their time, you might try switching on the basic text reading technology that most computers have built in.

No comments:

Post a Comment